INTERVIEW FLOW PREVIEW
Speaking to Influence Podcast:
Communication Secrets of the C-Suite
with host Dr. Laura Sicola
PRE-RECORDING – YOU AND LAURA
You and Laura will have 10-minute discussion to set up the show and answer any questions you have prior to recording.
Your GOAL is to share your experience, perspective and advice. The FOCUS is to provide information that will help listeners become more confident, effective speakers and inspiring leaders. These are areas we cover:
SECTION ONE – INTRODUCTION: 2 MIN
Laura introduces you (using your 50-word bio) then begins interview. If you have a Book, Podcast, Video or other public resource, Laura will mention it to help you gain followers.
SECTION TWO – INTERVIEW Part 1, Your Personal Journey: 12 MIN
- Who do you need to influence in your current leadership position, and how is that different from previous roles?
- What specific communication skills did you have to develop in order to get to the C-Suite (or current role) and be successful there? (Tell a short story)
- What’s one big (communication-related) mistake you made, or lesson you had to learn the hard way? If you could go back and have a “do-over,” what would you do differently? (Tell a short story)
- What’s the next big goal for you and what (communication) skills will you need to develop to reach that goal?
After INTERVIEW PART 1…
BREAK — SHORT BREAK FOR COMMERCIAL
SECTION THREE – LISTENER 24-HR INFLUENCE CHALLENGE: 1 MIN
“The Influence Challenge of the day” – decide in advance what challenge you’d like to give the audience that they can follow through on within 24 hours. This should be relevant to the first part of the interview.
SECTION FOUR – INTERVIEW Part 2, Guiding Others on the Journey: 8 MIN
QUESTIONS 5 to 8
From where you sit now, share some insight into Succession Planning and Career Advancement priorities in your company.
- What’s your definition of “executive presence” and how do you evaluate it in others?
- When you’re grooming a high-potential employee for an executive position, what are the three most important (communication) skills you look for when hiring or promoting? (your “golden nuggets”)
- What’s a “red flag” that could be a career derailer, or would stop you from hiring/promoting someone?
- “Managing up”: When your direct (or indirect) reports have to present information to you, what do you wish they would all do (or NOT!)?
SECTION FIVE – SPEED ROUND: 5 MIN
These are some of the most common themes and challenges that arise in my coaching and training discussions with clients who often feel like they’re the only ones struggling in these areas, but we want to let them know they’re not alone! SO:
(A) In a single word or phrase, where do you land on each of these issues, and then
(B) Give a brief piece of insight in response to the follow-up questions:
- Public speaking – love it or hate it?
- Give one tip for managing nerves and speaking with confidence (even if you don’t feel it).
- Introvert or extravert?
- Share one related strength, and one related area for growth.
- Fight or flight? (When faced with potential conflict or a difficult conversation, is your natural tendency to want to avoid it or engage head-on?)
- What’s one piece of advice to others whose reflex is like yours?
SECTION SIX – WRAP-UP: 1 MIN
Laura will thank the listeners and you for being the featured guest.
*You, the guest, retain all copyrights to any content that you own and choose to share by being a guest on the Speaking to Influence Podcast. Further, by participating in the Speaking to Influence Podcast interviews, you expressly authorize Dr. Laura Sicola and Vocal Impact Productions to record in audio and video, and to edit, distribute, and disseminate materials produced in any manner as well as to utilize your likeness in advertising, marketing, or in any other manner as it so chooses. Dr. Laura Sicola, Vocal Impact Productions or their respective assigns, shall hold all rights to the produced media of all types, including the rights to create and distribute a transcript of the interview as well as show notes. Additionally, we retain the right to license and/or sell the produced media and to specifically reference said produced media in promotion and marketing, and charge for same, including, but not limited to the receipt of advertising and sponsorship fees, as well as fees for trainings, conferences and public events in which podcast may be played, in whole or part, or referenced. You waive all rights to receive payment of any kind for your participation in the recording or for its sale or distribution.